Snoring is the sound produced when the air cannot pass through your air passages easily during breathing while you sleep due to obstruction at the back of your mouth and nose. Snoring brings a lot of problems to you and your bedmate. Loud snoring is a constant nuisance to your bedmate and could rob your partner of a good sleep every night. There are also cases that you stop breathing in a few seconds while snoring and you have to wake up to catch your breath. Snoring is not only annoying to you and your partner it could also be an indication of a serious health problem and you need to cure and get rid of your snoring.
About one third of the population is habitual snorers and most common on males and overweight people. Snoring is a serious problem; this will deprive you of a good sleep at night causing drowsiness, irritability and reduced alertness during the day. You have to find out how to get rid of your snoring before it becomes chronic and may result to other illnesses. Snoring may cause high blood pressure, heart problems and weight gain. This can also affect your relationship with your family members who get irritated with your constant snoring every night. It will bring you social embarrassment if you will sleep outside of your home and you’ll probably be ridiculed by people shocked and surprised by your loud snoring. Before it could affect your life and your health you should find out how to treat your snoring.
Tips to get rid of your snoring problems:
- Sleep on your side or stomach rather than on your back. Sleeping on your back will promote snoring as your tongue will fall backwards causing obstruction on the free flow of air during breathing.
- Tilt or raising the head of the bed a few inches can help stop snoring.
- Avoid alcohol before bedtime. This relaxes the throat muscles causing tongue to fall backwards obstructing air passages.
- Weight Loss. Excess fat on your neck cause your throat and air passages to become smaller.
- Avoid using too much pillows or overly soft pillows. This could bend your airway passages and will result to more breathing problems while sleeping.
- There are also devices available without prescription like nasal strips that keeps your air passages open while you sleep to prevent snoring. This is effective to some people but very expensive as you need to use new strip every night.
- There are also surgeries offered by otolaryngologists-head and neck surgeons like Uvulopalatopharyngoplasty (UPPP) to stop snoring. But of course this could be the last option considering the side effects and the cost involved.
Snoring is a very serious problem not only to you but to your family members. It can be a symptom of sleep apnea which is a very serious and life-threatening health condition and it is important that you find cure for your snoring problems.